Who doesn’t love to play sports? We all do! Sports is a fun way to interact with others, build friendships, exercise, and stay in shape. The one negative impact that sports can have is the injury that it can cause on your body and your eyesight. Every 13 minutes, an emergency room treats a sports-related eye injury Sports that involve balls including basketball, soccer, and physical sports such as lacrosse pose a major threat to eye safety. The main aspect many people forgot is that you must protect your eyes while playing these contact sports. Getting hit in the eye can cause injury even blindness to the cornea. Here at Wellish Vision Institute in Las Vegas, NV we want to inform you of the correct safety glasses to wear to ensure you maintain the good eyesight you want!
Below are some steps that you should take to ensure eye safety:
• Wear proper safety goggles for all sports involving a ball. In order to be assured that your eyes are protected, it is important that any eye guard or sports protective eyewear are approved and labeled correctly. Particular eyewear is performance tested to give you the highest levels of protection.
• Use batting helmets with face shields for all basketball sports.
• Use helmets and face shields approved by the U.S. Amateur Hockey Association when playing hockey.
• Be aware that regular glasses don’t provide enough protection and you must use alternate eyewear.
• Speak to your doctor about what type of eye gear will be best for you
In addition to all of this, all sports eyewear should have 100% ultraviolet protection. All of the doctors here at Wellish Vision Institute in Las Vegas, NV would love to sit down with you to go over these specifics in greater detail. Please give us a call today at any of our three locations to get an informative appointment!